The Energy Department on Monday announced a second round of funding for small modular nuclear reactors development through a program that has bipartisan backing but has been criticized by government spending watchdogs.
The department said new awardees would share in the $452 million to be made available under its five-year Small Modular Reactor Licensing Technical Support Program. Last November the department chose a design by Babcock & Wilcox from among four applicants.
Energy Secretary Steven Chu said the announcement follows President Barack Obama's renewed commitment to reduce U.S. carbon emissions.
"Innovative energy technologies, including small modular reactors, will help provide low-carbon energy to American homes and businesses, while giving our nation a key competitive edge in the global clean energy race," he said.
The program is dependent on appropriations by Congress and requires a dollar-for-dollar match by recipient companies. Congress has approved $67 million so far.
Small modular reactors are intended to generate 300 megawatts or less, compared to utility-scale reactors of 1,000 megawatts or more. They are also intended to be more economical by using pre-licensed designs that are manufactured off-site and shipped to their final locations.
Designs funded under the program are expected to achieve commercial operation by 2025. The department said they offer options for smaller electricity grids and locations that do not have the customer base to support larger reactors. Industry has also touted them as possible replacements for fossil-fuel units at older power plants.
North Carolina-based Babcock and Wilcox was selected in the first application round for its 180-megawatt mPower reactor design, which can be assembled in stages for future expansion. Upon licensing by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, up to four reactors are to be installed at the Tennessee Valley Authority's Clinch River site at Oak Ridge, Tenn.
A department spokeswoman said individual awardees are limited to $226 million in government spending and specific amounts for winning projects are to be negotiated.
The Babcock and Wilcox award remains under negotiation on the terms of a cooperative agreement. The company on Feb. 20 signed a contract with TVA that envisions submission of a construction permit application to the NRC by 2015 and demonstration by 2022.
The program has attracted opposition from Taxpayers for Common Sense, which contends that taxpayers have already supported small reactor development through the Navy nuclear submarine program. It recently gave the program its Golden Fleece award as an example of wasteful spending of tax dollars.
Written by: Edward Felker
Original Publication URL: http://energyguardian.net/energy-opens-second-round-small-modular-reactor-funding
Discussion