We are looking for talented people to add to our team of investigators, analysts, and advocates. TCS offers internships to qualified college students and fellowships to recent college graduates.
TCS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, personal appearance, disability, veteran status, family responsibilities, marital status, political affiliation, matriculation, genetic information, or any other status protected by applicable law.
Communications and Web Assistant
Taxpayers for Common Sense is looking for a digital communications assistant to fill a highly cross-functional position that supports our organization’s growing and evolving needs. It’s a great opportunity to learn, grow, and help shape the organization’s intersection of policy and outreach at a time when communications strategy is ever changing. On any given day you can expect to maintain core organizational tracking documents and systems, update content or software, research and parse metrics, manage and report on social media campaigns, and keep us up-to-date.
- Coordinate and manage tracking of organization communications including press and digital output
- Update, refresh, or help create web content – especially during rapid response opportunities or busy legislative periods
- Run social media campaigns on Facebook, Twitter, Google Ads, and more
- Manage organization’s digital marketing (Google AdWords, Facebook campaigns, twitter ads, Google display ads)
- Identify, analyze, and work with the communications team to fix digital weaknesses with regards to SEO, social media engagement
- Support organization’s digital and traditional communications needs during key moments (e.g. SOTU, shutdowns, etc.) or major legislative opportunities and moments (President’s Budget Request, CRs, recent tax bill, hearings, testimonies, etc.)
- Keep website, social media platforms, and digital outreach methods current
- Identify and stay ahead of the digital curve to help TCS most effectively engage, educate, and grow multiple audiences (the Hill, trade reporters, media, donors, subscribers, and the general public)
- Provide additional communications support as needed
Qualifications and Skills:
- 1 – 3 years of related experience in communications; preferably for an advocacy group, nonprofit, or political campaign
- Experienced with:
- Mass email marketing (Campaign Monitor, Mailchimp)
- Social media campaigns, engagement, monitoring, and tracking
- Google Analytics and Google Search Console
- Website design and production, and all the players involved
- Capable, if not experienced:
- in HTML and CSS, and able to coordinate smoothly and quickly with a developer
- InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator
- CRM tools (Salesforce)
- Video production skills are highly desirable
- Aware of best practices with regards to content, copyright, and the daily building blocks of long term digital success; and developing strategy using analytics, content testing, and more
We expect all members of the communications team to have/be:
- An abiding interest in policy and government. You do not have to be a subject matter expert, but you need to be interested in what is going on and recognize if breaking news affects the organization
- Comfortable with the idea that communications – especially in the digital sphere – changes fast and often; and that TCS’ day can change in an instant if we are responding to events on the Hill
- Desire to dig into the details
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, strong proof-reading skills, and high level of attention to detail
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively supporting cross-departmental teams
- Ability to multitask – i.e., stay focused on deliverables amid several simultaneous conversations, especially during periods of heavy legislative activity
- Willingness to share light office duties with a small and dedicated staff
- Commitment to nonpartisan mission, sense of humor, willingness to both take direction and pitch in where needed.
This position is in the TCS office in Washington, DC. Competitive compensation commensurate with experience. Benefits include health, vision, dental insurance; Metro SmartTrip deferral; 403b investment plan available. Taxpayers for Common Sense is an equal opportunity employer.
Send a cover letter with salary history, resume, brief writing or project sample, and contact information for three references by email only to: email@example.com, subject line “Communications and Web Assistant.” Please, no calls.
Apply as soon as possible, application open until filled.
ABOUT TAXPAYERS FOR COMMON SENSE:
Founded in 1995, Taxpayers for Common Sense, a 501(c)(3) nonpartisan budget watchdog, serves as an independent voice for American taxpayers. Our mission is to ensure that the federal government spends taxpayer dollars responsibly and operates within its means. At TCS, we believe that government waste costs more than just money. Misguided government subsidies do more harm than good by endangering public health, aggravating social and economic problems, and undermining true national security. We fight for a smart government that lives within its means. We believe in making decisions based on evidence and value. We believe that the decisions on how to spend our tax money should be transparent. And we believe we have a right – and a duty –to demand excellence and accountability from our government.
The core strategy of TCS has remained the same throughout our history: we eschew ideology and work with individuals and organizations from all political perspectives to build support for common sense reforms. TCS works to transcend partisanship and attract the widest possible audience to help build something Americans can believe in: a government that inspires trust and makes more sense. TCS empowers the national and local media and citizen activists by providing them with the information, insight and necessary tools to help them report on and advocate for responsible spending priorities. Additional information about TCS and our work may be found at: www.taxpayer.net
Full-Time Summer Fellowships & Internships
TCS is looking for currently enrolled and recently graduated college students to fill full-time, internships and fellowships for the spring. To be considered for an Internship position, candidates must be currently enrolled college students. Fellowships are open to recent college graduates.
TCS Fellows and Interns will have the opportunity to:
- Gain a broad perspective and first-hand experience in federal policymaking in Congress and the Executive Branch, media relations, and coalition advocacy.
- Develop their skills in writing, policy analysis, research, critical-thinking, and political awareness.
- Work closely with the professional staff to assume real responsibility in a fast-paced environment on Capitol Hill.
TCS Fellows and Interns will work in one or more of the following areas:
- Energy and Natural Resources: Research and analysis on a range of issues including subsidies for conventional and alternative energy, public lands, water resources, and natural resource management.
- Communications: Assist in outreach to reporters and producers on timely budget issues, monitor TCS’s media coverage, and promote TCS analysis and commentary on the web and through social media.
- Fundraising and Organizational Development: Learn about nonprofit management and assist with outreach and communications, donor management, prospect research, grant writing, and other organizational development.
Qualifications and Compensation:
Strong written and oral communication skills are essential, as well as attention to detail and an ability to be effective and organized in a fast-paced working environment. Candidates from all academic disciplines will be considered as long as they have a demonstrated interest in public policy, activism, or one of the issues areas mentioned above. Candidates interested in working with Communications must have some journalism or writing experience.
HOW TO APPLY
- a brief cover letter outlining your interest in an internship or fellowship with TCS (please make sure to indicate which program area you are most interested in);
- your resume;
- a short, 2-5 page writing sample; and
- two references, at least one reference from a former employer
to the attention of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please, no phone calls.
TCS participates in several university internship programs that offer compensation or academic credit. In addition, TCS considers strong candidates independently for limited, competitively-paid positions.