Work for TCS
We are looking for talented people to add to our team of investigators, analysts, and advocates. TCS offers internships to qualified college students and fellowships to recent college graduates.
Taxpayers for Common Sense (TCS) is a nonpartisan budget watchdog serving as an independent voice for American taxpayers. Our mission is to achieve a government that spends taxpayer dollars responsibly and operates within its means. We work with individuals, policymakers, and the media to increase transparency, expose and eliminate wasteful and corrupt subsidies, earmarks, and corporate welfare, and hold decision makers accountable. You can browse through this website for more information on TCS programs.
DIGITAL COMMUNICATIONS ASSOCIATE
The Digital Communications Associate will be responsible for the execution of online marketing campaigns and maintaining our website and social media platforms.
- On a daily basis, maintain website content: including publishing content, copyediting and proofreading all web content, fixing links, collecting and publishing news clips (requires working with content management software)
- Maintain a consistent look and feel across website
- Track and report on all site metrics
- Work with staff to respond to public inquiries and information requests
- Help oversee vendors and consultants to upgrade site functionality and design as needed
Online Marketing and Social Media:
- On a daily basis, monitor social media and post tweets and Facebook posts drafted by staff
- Support creation and implementation of email campaigns and other communications, including email design, list segmentation, and reporting; ensure consistency, quality, and delivery
- Help maintain organizational contact databases
- Track and report on email campaign performance, social network engagement, etc.
- Provide design support for online marketing including printed collateral as needed
- 1-5 years of related experience in online communications; preferably for an advocacy group, nonprofit, or political campaign
- Experience maintaining websites. Experience with Expression Engine a plus but training will be provided
- Experience with Salesforce or similar CRM a plus
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, strong editorial and proof-reading skills, and high level of attention to detail
- Experience in web production and marketing best practices including SEO, developing strategy using analytics, content testing, and more
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively supporting cross-departmental teams
- Willingness to share light office duties with a small and dedicated staff
- Commitment to nonpartisan mission, sense of humor, willingness to both take direction and pitch in where needed, and good attitude
This position is in the TCS office in Washington, DC. Competitive compensation commensurate with experience. Benefits include health, vision, dental insurance; Metro SmartTrip deferral; 403b investment plan available. Taxpayers for Common Sense is an equal opportunity employer.
Send a cover letter with salary history, resume, brief writing or project sample, and contact information for three references by email only to: email@example.com, subject line “Digital Communications Associate.” Please, no calls.
APPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
FULL-TIME SPRING FELLOWSHIPS & INTERNSHIPS
TCS is looking for currently enrolled and recently graduated college students to fill full-time, internships and fellowships for the spring. To be considered for an Internship position, candidates must be currently enrolled college students. Fellowships are open to recent college graduates.
TCS Fellows and Interns will have the opportunity to:
- Gain a broad perspective and first-hand experience in federal policymaking in Congress and the Executive Branch, media relations, and coalition advocacy.
- Develop their skills in writing, policy analysis, research, critical-thinking, and political awareness.
- Work closely with the professional staff to assume real responsibility in a fast-paced environment on Capitol Hill.
TCS Fellows and Interns will work in one or more of the following issue areas:
- Energy and Natural Resources: Research and analysis on a range of issues including subsidies for conventional and alternative energy, public lands, water resources, and natural resource management.
- Transportation & Infrastructure: Monitor and investigate federal spending on America’s transportation and infrastructure, including development of community disaster resilience and promoting reform of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to make them more fiscally responsible and stop wasteful projects.
- National Security: Work for a strong military at a reasonable cost, including monitoring the Departments of Defense, Energy, and Homeland Security, and relevant Congressional committees.
- Communications: Assist in outreach to reporters and producers on timely budget issues, monitor TCS’s media coverage, and promote TCS analysis and commentary on the web and through social media.
- Fundraising and Organizational Development: Learn about nonprofit management and assist with outreach and communications, donor management, prospect research, grant writing, and other organizational development.
Qualifications and Compensation
Strong written and oral communication skills are essential, as well as attention to detail and an ability to be effective and organized in a fast-paced working environment. Candidates from all academic disciplines will be considered as long as they have a demonstrated interest in public policy, activism, or one of the issues areas mentioned above. Candidates interested in working with Communications must have some journalism or writing experience.
TCS participates in several university internship programs that offer compensation or academic credit. In addition, TCS considers strong candidates independently for limited, competitively-paid positions.
How to Apply
- a brief cover letter outlining your interest in an internship or fellowship with TCS (please make sure to indicate which program area you are most interested in);
- your resume;
- a short, 2-5 page writing sample; and
- two references, at least one reference from a former employer
to the attention of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please, no phone calls.