Who Paid for FIreworks?: Budget Group Wants to Know Who Picked Up Tab

TCS RSS Feed RSS
September 05, 2001
Programs:
Washington, DC -- A prominent budget watchdog group today called for an investigation to determine whether taxpayer funds were used to pay for an exclusive fireworks display that took place at the White House last night.

"Taxpayers have the right to know whether they paid for this elaborate and unnecessary spectacle," commented Jill Lancelot, Legislative Director at Taxpayers for Common Sense. "We need to make sure that we're getting the biggest bang for our buck with our tax dollars and picking up the tab for a fireworks display at an essentially private event isn't the way to do that."

One hundred - thirty six White House guests were treated to a fireworks display on the Ellipse that reportedly cost $175,000 to $250,000. The public was neither invited to attend nor told of the display.

"The White House should spill the beans on who paid for this display," said Lancelot. "If public funds were used, the White House should repay the Treasury from private contributions."

The group said growing concerns over diminished federal budget surplus projections warrant an investigation.

"The federal government may have to take $9 billion from the Social Security surplus just to make ends meet," said Lancelot. "Spending money on glitzy White House celebrations sends a terrible message in this tense budget climate."

The group also questioned the Bush Administration's motives in awarding the contract for the display to Zambelli Fireworks Internationale. George Zambelli, the head of the company, gave a $2,000 individual contribution to George W. Bush's presidential campaign last year, according to federal campaign finance data.

"While it may not seem like much, this is a pretty good return on Mr. Zambelli's investment if taxpayers footed the bill," concluded Lancelot.

Filed under:

Discussion
In This Section
Weekly Wastebasket

Our weekly reality-check for federal spending. View All

September 13, 2013

Syria: Excuse 535 To Not Cut the Deficit

Volume XVIII No. 37 Possible action in Syria has become the most recent excuse du jour for Pentagon boosters... Read More