- Strengthen efforts to increase the production of PPE and components required for testing.
- Expedite processing of international physicians already in the U.S. in valid visa status seeking a change of status to begin a U.S. residency or assume a position in an underserved area of the U.S.
- Extend the 30-day visa grace period beyond the end of the nationally declared emergency, and allow extended training activities under supervision during the period consistent with pandemic response.
- Issue a public statement confirming that J-1 physicians are permitted to be redeployed to new rotations within the host training institution as needed to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Open visa processing at U.S. embassies and consulates for physicians seeking to enter the U.S. to join residency programs on 7/1/2020.
Provide one month of revene to each physician, nurse practicioner, and PA enrolled in Medicare or Medicaid to account for financial losses and on-reimbursable expenses
- Expand the Medicare Accelerated and Advance Payment Program – delay recoupments, waive interest, etc.
- Increase payment rates for Medicare, Medicaid and TRICARE; waive budget neutrality for evaluation and management services implemented on 1/1/2021, extend sequestration relief through 12/31/2021.
- Authorize direct grants, interest-free loans, a 9/11-type COVID fund, etc. for physician practices of all sizes.
- Infuse the SBA’s PPP with more funding.
- Require ERISA group health plans to cover telehealth for the duration of the pandemic.
- (and other requests related to resident physicians and students; the emergency medical treatment and labor act; and physicain liability)
The AMA continues to hear from physicians across the country about short supplies and limited access to personal protective equipment and components required for SARS-CoV2 diagnostics.
Even before the COVID-19 crisis, there was a shortages of physicians, and international medical graduates are crucial to providing care to many Americans.
*see letter on 4/15/2020 for specific justifications.